People considering rhinoplasty generally think about getting a “nose job” sooner rather than later. But sometimes, they wonder if this is the best age for rhinoplasty surgery. Teens often ask if they’re too young for rhinoplasty, while more mature patients want to know if you can be too old for the procedure.
What’s the Age Requirement for Teen Rhinoplasty?
There isn’t a specific “correct” age for getting rhinoplasty, but teens need to be sure their noses have finished developing before having aesthetic surgery. Because girls tend to mature sooner than boys, they can undergo rhinoplasty at about age 16, while boys should wait another year or two.
After about the age of 16, a person’s nose is fully developed and does not continue to change much. If a young person is unhappy with their appearance, it makes sense to have nose surgery sooner rather than later because the nose will not change substantially over time and surgery is the only option to permanently revise its look.
Benefits for Teens
Nose surgery is consistently the most-often performed cosmetic surgery for teens because it offers several benefits. More than 44,000 people ages 19 and younger had the surgery in 2020, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgery. Some of the reasons teens choose to have the surgery include:
- Emotional & Social Well-Being: If a teenager’s feelings about their nose are causing social or emotional distress, having the surgery earlier can sometimes help these challenges. Choosing to have the surgery at an earlier age can also make social interactions, like starting college or a new job, less anxiety-inducing.
- Healing & Recovery: Younger individuals generally heal faster than older adults. This can result in a quicker return to daily activities and a shorter period of downtime.
- Skin Elasticity: Younger skin tends to be more elastic and resilient, which may yield more predictable results.
However, while rhinoplasty can improve self-confidence for younger patients in their formative years, it’s not a ‘quick fix’ for a teen with low self-esteem. Parents should discuss the pros and cons of surgery with their teen and help them make an informed choice. In my experience, an open dialogue is vital to a satisfying outcome.
Teen Rhinoplasty Before and After Photos
Although some people do choose to have rhinoplasty at a younger age, there are also many people who choose to wait. While I will perform rhinoplasty for good candidates in this younger age group, it’s still more typical for me to see patients in their 20s or 30s who are seriously considering this procedure.
Whether you’re young or mature, rhinoplasty corrects a range of cosmetic concerns with the nose, including disproportion with the rest of the face, a bump on the bridge, crookedness, width or narrowness concerns, and flared or pinched nostrils. Surgery can also help to improve breathing. Nose surgery to revise the septum, the wall of cartilage that divides the nose, is known as septoplasty. A septoplasty is particularly helpful for patients who have trouble breathing due to a deviated septum or if they have suffered an injury to the nose.
Can You Be Too Old for Rhinoplasty?
It’s possible to undergo cosmetic nose surgery at virtually any age as long you’re in good overall health. Men and women who are self-conscious about the appearance of their noses but who have postponed undergoing rhinoplasty can still benefit from the procedure.
That being said, changing the appearance of your nose in your 40s or 50s can come with unexpected reactions from patients who have grown accustomed to their look (even if they’ve felt self-conscious about their noses for years). You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon to ensure you’re confident about wanting to undergo rhinoplasty. You can learn more about how to know if you are ready for rhinoplasty in our related blog post.
Benefits of Waiting Until Full Adulthood
- Mature Decision-Making: As individuals age, they often develop a clearer sense of what they want, leading to deeper satisfaction with the results.
- Financial Stability: Older individuals might be in a better financial position to afford the surgery and any associated costs.
- Life Experience: With age comes experience and, often, the ability to handle the emotional and physical stresses of surgery with more resilience.
- Fewer Life Disruptions: Adults often have more flexibility in scheduling and taking downtime from work or responsibilities compared to teens who are locked into school schedules.
Adult Rhinoplasty Before and After
Start With a Consultation
Regardless of your age, if you are considering rhinoplasty or another type of facial plastic surgery, you can request your consultation with Dr. Bogdan by using the online form. Or, you can call us at (817) 442-1236 to schedule an appointment.
This post was originally published in August 2010 and updated in August 2023.